7.11.2009

scorpion sting!

Logo for Scorpion Tequila ... I couldn't bring myself to post a picture of a real one!

We live in an area of Arizona that is surrounded by a gorgeous natural desert landscape. We regularly see jackrabbits, prairie dogs, lizards and lots of birds; all of which are wonderful. Not so wonderful is that mountain lions, snakes and "eeek!" scorpions are also known to roam nearby.

This week I was stung by a scorpion at 4:30 am in my bed. Freak out time!!! I have an unhealthy fear of scorpions, which began after we had kids; children under the age of 5 are the most at risk and that really scares me. I am grateful that it stung me since both Ethan & Hudson were asleep in my bed at the time.

So you wanna know what happened? I awoke to the a sharp pain in my calf. I thought maybe I pulled a muscle earlier that night at yoga. I stretched my leg out and then bent my knee to stretch the other direction proceeding to squish the scorpion in my leg! eeeww. I stood up, checked my leg and found 2 small sting marks which quickly started swelling. After checking the bed I found a small (less than an inch) smooshed scorpion. I got really nervous and Googled scorpion sting (what would we do without the Internet in times like these?)

About.com suggests that if you are stung by any scorpion, including the venomous Arizona Bark Scorpion, here are some immediate actions you should take:
  1. Wash the area of the scorpion sting with soap and water.
  2. Apply a cool compress on the area of the scorpion sting. Ice (wrapped in a washcloth or other suitable covering) may be applied to the sting location for 10 minutes. Remove compress for 10 minutes and repeat as necessary.
  3. If stung on a limb (arm or leg) elevate the limb to heart level.
  4. Call the Banner Poison Control Center Hotline at 1-800-222-1222. If you develop symptoms such as numbness or tingling of extremities or face, blurry vision, or muscle twitching, roving eye movements, go to the nearest emergency room. Young children and older people who are stung by a scorpion should be taken to the emergency room immediately.
  5. Keep your tetanus shots and boosters current.
Luckily, I did not experience any symptoms worthy of a trip to the emergency room. After about 6-8 hours of applying an ice pack the pain finally subsided and the swelled areas were gone.

In the western U.S. only one species of scorpion venom is considered very dangerous to humans. Yep, we have it here in Arizona. It is called the Arizona Bark Scorpion. It is straw colored or opaque and usually less than 2 inches long and is the only one that prefers to climb walls. The Arizona Bark Scorpion is most dangerous if the person stung has an allergic reaction.

1 comment:

Carla said...

I'm so glad you're better. I do like the scorpion image - it's a lot nicer than the icky real thing!