I baked a super scrumptious carrot cake from scratch for Easter. Baking isn't my forte so, I'm super excited when a make a dessert that turns out this good. I found this carrot cake recipe on allrecipes.com, my "go to" place for recipe hunting. I changed a few things based on comments on the original and here is my version:
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of applesauce
- 1 cups white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar (could even be reduced to 3 cups IMO)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
This cake turned out super moist and just the best carrot cake ever! Of course, I am a little bias since I'm extremely happy it turned out okay but, really it was so good. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour or line with parchment paper (2) 9 inch round pans.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, applesauce, white and brown sugars and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost the first layer, then add the second layer and frost.