11.05.2009

i'm an art masterpiece guide!

The Olive Tree by Vincent van Gogh

I just finished the last of the mandatory training classes for the Mesa Public Schools (MPS) Art Masterpiece Program. As of tonight, I'm a trained Art Masterpiece Guide. WooHoo!

I learned about Art Masterpiece during parent/teacher open house and am really excited to be involved at Ethan's school. Art Masterpiece is an art appreciation program offered to elementary children by parent volunteer guides. Essentially, art history for kids. The goal is to help students look, think and talk about great masterpieces of art. As a guide I will lead 15-20 minute discussions about famous paintings once every two weeks starting in January. I am grateful for the training classes as they provided me with information about the program, art history and lots of presentation ideas. And, it was really nice to learn that Mesa Public Schools puts a high value on art education.

I remember loving my art history courses in college and look forward to learning about the artwork. Plus, seeing it through the eyes of 5 and 6 year old kids is going to be awesome!

4 comments:

Christine said...

How fun! I wish they did something like that in Laela's school division. What a great way to volunteer.

Unknown said...

Do they not offer it? I thought all Mesa Public School participated as long as there was someone at that school to volunteer.

Unknown said...

This is awesome. Love it!

Unknown said...

I know! It has gotten me excited to learn more about art history and share what i learn, which is pretty cool.