8.10.2009

cheese crisp and veggie rice


Tonight I had planned to make a recipe I received in the meatless monday e-newsletter. Zucchini Stuffed Peppers. Sounds so good! I began cooking the vegetables but, soon realized my oven door was jammed and therefore would not turn on. So I went for plan B. I switched gears and made the stuffing into veggie rice and paired it with a cheese crisp.

For the cheese crisp I used:
  • whole wheat tortillas
  • 1 slice of american cheese
  • grated mild cheddar cheese
Place 1 tortilla in pan, add cheeses and place a second tortilla on top and lightly press together. Cook over medium high heat for a minute or two, flip over the and cook on the other side for a minute of two.

For the veggie rice I used:
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice
  • 1 zucchini diced
  • 1/2 onion diced
  • 5 carrots diced
  • 1 tbsp butter
Place butter in a skillet, add zucchini, onion and carrots. Cook for about 10 minutes. Mix in the brown rice. salt and pepper.

This actually turned out well, the only change I may try is to cook brown rice with vegetable broth instead of water to add a bit more flavor. Thank goodness we had some tortilla and cheese handy to complete the meal.

No comments: