3.07.2011

lentil stew


I haven't posted a Meatless Mondays recipe in awhile because I haven't made anything new, until now.  I made my first stew ever, Lentil Stew!  I love lentils but have only ordered them when out, I never cooked them myself. I am reading Alicia Silverston's cookbook The Kind Diet and adapted this recipe from her book. This stew is hearty, healthy and so yummy! I have to admit neither my husband or I missed the meat. You'll see below I was out of a few ingredients. I didn't let that stop me from trying it though, it still turned out delicious.

Lentil Stew
Serves 6
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika (I was out of paprika so I omitted this)
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 large onions, cut into chunks
2 celery stalks, diced (I was out of celery so I omitted this too)
1 carrot, sliced
1 potato, cut into chunks (I substituted 3 red potatoes)
1/4 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
5 cups vegetable broth
3 tomatoes, cored and cut into chunks (I was out of tomatoes so I omitted these)
1 1/2 cups brown lentils

Combine the garlic powder, paprika, salt, cumin, oregano and basil in a small bowl. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat, and add the garlic, onion, celery, carrot and potato. Stir in half the seasoning mix and the shoyu (soy sauce). Cook stirring frequently for 7 minutes.

Add 5 cups of water, the broth, tomatoes and lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer with the lid askew for 30 minutes. Add the remaining seasoning mix and cook for 20 minutes longer or until the lentils are soft.

No comments: