9.28.2010

chalkboard party favors


For my son's birthday this year he wanted rainbow themed party favors.  He loves art and to color and I just love that he loves rainbows. They are so much fun but, there isn't much out there for 4 year old boys with a theme of rainbows. I love to make and give useful items whenever possible so, the minute I saw this how to: mini chalkboards tutorial on Craftzine I knew it was perfect!  I discussed the idea with Hudson and he was excited about it. Here is how we created the favors together.
We bought plain wood boards at Michaels for $1 each.
The boys helped me count and inspect them.
We lightly sanded the edges to smooth them out.
I taped up the edges of the boards.
Sprayed a couple of coats of chalkboard spray paint on each one.
After they were dry, I removed the tape and added colorful lines
around the edges for a rainbow boarder effect.
Hudson helped me choose bundles of 3 chalk sticks colors and rubber band
them together. Lastly, I created a rainbow thank you tag and tied a ribbon
around the boards with the chalk bundle and tag. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cute!

suzanne cabrera said...

SUCH a great idea! Love it!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

genius!!!! And so much better than a plastic bag filled with plastic crap! ;-) SO awesome the kids were involved too!

Unknown said...

so much better then plastic crap, right?! best part is I only spent $2 a kid! obviously it took a little time but, so worth it :) thanks for stopping by my blog Sara, Suzanne and Candy!